Almost Home

By 19:25

Hi. My name is Tess and my life is about to change completely. After 14 years of dreaming about moving to Australia, it’s finally happening. From the moment I arrived in Australia for the first time at age 6, I fell totally and completely in love. There is something about that place that makes me the happiest girl in the entire world, and I just knew that it was going to be my home one day. I am so blessed to have a dad who is from Australia, which has allowed me to become a dual citizen of Canada (my current home) and Australia. I have spent most of my life telling people about moving to Australia some day, but it has always been just “some day.” But, for the first time, that “some day” has an actual date. July 8th, 2015; the day that this 20 year old girl from Toronto, Ontario is going to take her first steps towards living her dream.

Me at age 6. My first trip to Australia. 
I have always been the type person to have huge dreams, but never act upon them. But, after visiting Australia for the 6th time last Christmas, I knew that this dream had to become a reality. I realized that I couldn’t just sit back, living my life in Canada waiting for an opportunity to fall out of the sky. I needed to create an opportunity for myself. When I was staying with my Aunt over Christmas holidays, she had really been pushing me to apply to school over there, as she knew how badly I wanted to move. She is such a dreamer and goal setter, so she knew that if I really wanted this I had to create a way. So, while I was supposed to be studying for midterms, I began to look at what my options were for Uni in Australia. I went out on a whim and applied to school just to see what would happen. A few weeks later, I was accepted, and they were willing to give me credits for my courses here in Canada. I didn’t really know what to do at that point. I knew that if I let this opportunity pass I would probably never end up moving to Australia. I always told myself that I couldn’t move there out of the blue; I had to have something there waiting for me like school or a job. So this was my chance, I couldn’t let it pass by. So, here I am on March 31st, 2015, 99 days until I leave for Australia. I accepted my offer and booked my flight. This is really happening.

Me at age 20. My 6th, and most recent trip to Australia. 



I want to share this with the rest of the world. I don’t really know what this blog is going to become, but I just want to share my journey to prove that dreams really can come true. I am feeling so incredibly excited, scared, happy, nervous, and pretty much every other possible emotion. I have always admired people who have got up and lived their dreams without a second thought. This is my chance, and I can’t wait for this new adventure.  

I hope you join me on this journey.

- Tess 

You Might Also Like

0 comments