Exploring Australia: Melbourne Day 3

By 12:23 , ,

Something I have learned from writing travel posts: condense them as much as possible so a month after a trip you aren't still trying to complete the posts and remember every detail. Hey, this is all a learning curve.. so here goes day 3, also the final day that I am going to write about. Day 4 was just a bit of shopping and then flying back to Sydney, and I'll briefly talk about it at the end of this post.

Day 3 was a big day. Jackie and I booked a day tour of the Great Ocean Road which took us from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles. This post is going to be mainly pictures because it is so much easier to just show you what we saw rather than talk about it all. Also I don't remember the names of everything.

We started our day at 7am where we headed to Torquay, a surfing town in Victoria. It's very different from being in Melbourne, because Melbourne is very much a city. The trip brought us through a bunch of small towns along the Great Ocean Road. I am currently living in a small town on the South Coast of NSW, so it was interesting to see all these small towns that were a lot like where I live. Beach towns are great to visit and you will find the best beaches in these areas. City beaches are cool, but beaches down the coast are the best beaches.

As we made our way out of Torquay, we ended up at the entrance of the Great Ocean Road. The famous arch way where people risk their lives standing in the middle of the road to get the perfect tourist photo.


Our next stop was at a caravan park which had a large koala population. We were told that we would get to spot a bunch of koalas. We ended up only seeing one, and it really just looked like a blob in a tree. Once I got back on the bus I realised I didn't even take any pictures of the blob. There were also tons of birds flying on people's heads and shoulders. I am absolutely terrified of birds so I was scared for my life. I just wanted to see a koala I didn't sign up for my worst nightmare!!! (Disclaimer: it actually wasn't that bad - no birds landed on me as I ran away every time one came near me).

Here is Jackie being extremely brave and becoming one with nature. Namaste. 

Next was a rainforest walk which was actually really cool. I felt like I was on the set of survivor.
There were ferns everywhere - it was truly a botanists dream. So much vegetation!

I can basically hear Jeff Probst telling me that my tribe has spoken. 


Finally, we ended up at the 12 Apostles - which actually turns out to be only 8 or 9 apostles? False advertising much, Victoria tourism? In all seriousness though the apostles are sooooooo beautiful and I definitely think everyone should make the trip out to see them. It is a huge tourist attraction so be prepared for the selfie sticks and having to push your way through to get the perfect Instagram photos.

Okay so the apostles are actually like a pale beige but the sun made them look black. I now understand the whole white/gold, black/blue dress debate. Thank you rock formations. 

After the apostles we got to explore the different cliffs and gorges and other rock formations (?) Unsure if I'm describing this correctly so here are pictures! Yay for erosion!

This beach was so cool it was a little cove - refer to next picture for birds eye view of this same cove. I am all about the different camera angles. 

Hey - here is the cove from a different view.

Just loving the erosion. 

Eventually we made it back to Melbourne and decided that it wasn't time to end the day yet. It was our last night in Melbourne so we went to a rooftop bar called Madam Brussels. It was pink and garden-y and basically everything I could ask for in a rooftop bar. We ordered this really yummy drink with vanilla and watermelon? I think? It was a month ago, okay, I don't remember all the details. This is truly blogging at it's finest. Anyways, they also had these cute umbrellas so of course I had to take a million selfies.

Here I am. 

Then came day 4, our final day in Melbourne. We had a few hours to kill before we had to head to the airport so we went to Chapel Street in South Yarra to do some shopping. It's just outside of the CBD and took about 10 minutes to get to by train. They have all of the classic Australian stores that you would find in any shopping centre, as well as a few independent boutiques. Then finally, it was time to say goodbye to Melbourne. Overall it was a great trip. We saw a lot of the city, and surrounding areas, but still have a lot more ground to cover on another trip. Melbourne really is a great city - I just don't think I like experiencing all 4 seasons in one day.

The tour we went on was by Go West Tours. It was an awesome tour, and our guide was so funny and lovely. She taught us a lot about the history of Great Ocean Road and made the long drive super enjoyable.

You Might Also Like

1 comments