Saying Goodbye to North America: NYC Day 2

By 18:55 ,

I have been working nonstop and haven't had a chance to write my second, and final New York post. But, I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday so now I have nothing but time. So, here it is.


Day 2, technically the last day of our trip to New York, was the day that we explored lower Manhattan. We woke up bright and early and set off to the subway and made our way to The High Line. If you don't know what The High Line is, it's a park built on an old railway line that runs on top of the streets of New York. It has a great contrast between nature and the city. One of my favourite things about New York is the parks amidst the city, and this is one of my favourite. As we walked through the park, the life of the city was happening below us. It was also a great way to get a birds eye view of the streets of New York, without being too high up to see the streets. 
Some of the plants planted in the railway tracks with NYC cabs in the background
The High Line took us to Chelsea, where we went to the Chelsea Market. The Chelsea Market is, of course, a market. It had many restaurants and a cute little flea market that had me wanting to spend all of my money. We had lunch at the market, where I discovered Beyond Sushi, an all vegan sushi restaurant. I was extremely happy because a) I am vegan and b) I LOVE sushi.
I had the Sweet Tree Roll (6-grain rice, avocado, sweet potato, and alfalfa sprouts)
The Chelsea Market also had the prettiest little walkway with all of these sparkling lights. I think I stood there for a good 5 minutes taking pictures. I just really like sparkling lights, okay?
It's so pretty honestly I could live in this walkway
After the Chelsea Market, we went to Washington Square Park, the park in the middle of the NYU campus. Once we began to see people our age walking around, we knew we were in the right place. I had never been to Washington Square Park so I was really excited to see the Washington Square Arch, which is the star of many of the establishing shots in Friends. It was so interesting walking around this area, because we are all University students. It was cool to see the lifestyle of people who go to school in New York City. 
Washington Square Arch
We then made our way to SOHO. SOHO is full of higher end stores, so we were definitely there just to observe. Out of all the neighbourhoods we went to in New York, SOHO definitely had the best Snapchat geotag. (The entire trip I was obsessing over the geotags because in Toronto we only have like 2 and I have yet to be in the right place to get them). I just realized I didn't save a picture of the geotag so now you'll just have to go to SOHO to see what I'm talking about. 

After walking for hours, we decided to go find a place to get some coffee. I had heard of an Australian cafe in New York called Bluestone Lane, so I pleaded my case to walk a few (maybe a bit more than a few) extra blocks to check it out. I had been craving Australian coffee since I got back from Australia in January, and it was so worth the walk. I got myself an almond milk flat white and in that moment I was the happiest little Canadian/Australian girl in the world. If you are an Australian in New York, you must go to Bluestone Lane you will feel totally at home. And if you aren't Australian, go do yourself a favour and try Australian coffee it will change your life. 
Have I mentioned how good this coffee was?
Okay, enough about Australian coffee, I promise. After SOHO, we headed back to Midtown to go back to our apartment to sit down for a bit and refresh from a long day of walking. We then headed to Bryant Park, which is officially my favourite NYC park. I just love the views from the park. It has a good view of the Empire State Building, and the Bryant Park Hotel is definitely where I dream of staying one day. It is a black and gold building who doesn't want to stay in a black and gold building. 
SEE?! Such good views. Let me live in the Bryant Park Hotel please
After a long day two days of walking, I think it is fair to say that we had a wonderful time in New York. My legs hurt for a few days after, but it was all worth it. I don't know when I will be back to New York, as I am moving to the other side of the world, but I do hope to be back one day. But for now, Australia is calling my name. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments