Vegan Eats in Sydney

By 14:52 , ,

If you don't already know, I am vegan, meaning that I don't eat anything that comes from an animal. A lot of people who first find this out about me are very apologetic and act as if I am torturing myself in order to save a few animals. WRONG. I love being vegan. It is so much fun and I absolutely love when I find cafes and restaurants that are very supportive of the food that I choose to put in my body. Before coming to Australia I made a list of vegan/vegan-friendly cafes/restaurants to check out. When I was in Sydney last weekend I got the chance to go to 5 of the cafes/restaurants on my list. You don't even understand how excited I was. So, I thought that it would be helpful and just as exciting to make a post for my fellow vegans out there, or just anyone in general who loves a plant based meal once in a while.

The first cafe I went to was Speedo's Cafe in North Bondi. If you read my post last week about my trip to Bondi I briefly talked about how amazing it was. Speedo's isn't a fully vegan cafe but it has tons of options so if you are out in Bondi looking for a place that serves all types of eaters I would definitely recommend it. I ordered the Coconut Chia Pot which is pictured below. It was cocowhip (the love of my life) on top of granola, watermelon, strawberries, and chia pudding. SO GOOD. The best part about cocowhip is that it is literally just made from coconut water. That means no dairy, no preservatives, no refined sugar. Basically it's healthy, vegan and SO YUMMY. What more could you ask for?

I want like 10 more right this second
My next stop was Funky Pies which is also in Bondi. If you are from Australia or know about Australian culture, you'll know that meat pies are a huge deal down here. As a vegan, I can't really partake in the meat pie culture. Funky Pies is a completely vegan pie cafe in Bondi which made me so excited. I grew up eating meat pies on my trips to Australia before going vegan, so I was extremely happy to come across this cafe. I ordered the "No Wurry Curry" pie and it was excellent. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it, but it was yummy and cute and I ate it very quickly.

Later that night my friend Jackie and I wanted to find a place to have dinner and drinks. She isn't vegan but is very supportive of my eating choices. We went to Bodhi in the Park, a vegan yum cha restaurant/bar right in Hyde Park. It was such a cool environment. There were lights through all of the trees and people literally dancing with fire. It was really cool. I've never been to a vegan restaurant that also doubles as a bar so that was really exciting. There was the option to order small, shareable meals or larger, single meals. We went for the share plates and each had a cocktail as well. I totally recommend going to Bodhi with a group of friends for a drink or two (maybe just one cause they are on the pricy side), and some tasty vegan yum cha.

I am so obsessed with tree lights I was way too excited

Soooooo much good food
The next day I went to Henley's Wholefoods in Alexandria. Again, not a fully vegan cafe, but extremely vegan friendly. I had a large salad plate with two salads; a vegan kale caesar salad and a roasted carrot salad. I haven't had caesar salad for about two years so I was super excited to finally find one that was totally vegan. If you can't already tell... I get excited about pretty much all vegan food. I love it. Henley's Wholefoods is in a really cute location. I would definitely recommend going on a nice, sunny day because there is tons of outdoor seating and it's just a really awesome environment. Again, I didn't take any pictures. I am very sorry. They also serve cocowhip but I had to skip out on it because I was keen for the next vegan spot, Gelato Blue.

Gelato Blue is, if you can't already tell, a gelato parlour in Newtown. Newtown is known as vegan heaven in Sydney and I can definitely confirm that this is true. Half of my list of vegan spots is in Newtown so I can assure you that I will be back to cross more off. It is also the home of Sadhana kitchen from my previous post where I tried cocowhip for the first time. A very special place in my heart. Anyways, back to Gelato Blue. This gelato parlour has TONS of vegan desserts, including donuts(!!!!). Honestly check them out on Instagram. I go through their feed once a day because everything looks AMAZING. Unfortunately, they were sold out of donuts when I went, but that just means I will have to go back again. There are non-vegan versions of everything as well so everyone can be happy. But, the vegan ones are probably just as good, if not better, so it wouldn't even be a problem if it was all fully vegan. Since I couldn't get a donut, I went for the gelato and got Salted Peanut Butter Gelato with Caramel Popcorn on top... yeah. Amazing. Honestly the best thing I have ever tasted.

UGH I WANT MORE
Hopefully you took some notes and are ready to go on a vegan marathon in Sydney. If you have any recommendations of vegan cafes or restaurants in Sydney (or the rest of Australia for that matter) please let me know and I will add them to my list. I am so excited to try more. Vegan food is my best friend.

You Might Also Like

0 comments