The Power of Spoken Word

By 02:15


Hello to whoever is reading this, hope you're good. I have a story to tell that will hopefully encourage you if you are having doubts or troubles finding your way at the moment. As my life is starting to come together in this little (very large actually) country that I've moved to, I feel like I should share some recent happenings with you. 

A bit over a week ago I was starting to feel homesick, which has not happened once since I got off the plane in Sydney two months ago. I was beginning to regret my decision to move because I was having trouble finding a part time job and an internship. I had been applying to quite a few online but wasn't having any success. I was extremely discouraged and had a little cry to myself, and of course sent my mom an "I miss you mommy :(" message on Facebook. There was a voice in my head telling me that this was all a horrible idea and that I made a huge mistake by moving to the other side of the world. I skipped church that night because my aunt had sprained her ankle and I thought it would be best to stay home to help her out if she needed anything. So, I decided to watch a Hillsong sermon to refresh my brain from these discouraging thoughts that I was having. The sermon was about faith and the power of spoken word. Once I heard the pastor say "power of spoken word" my brain clicked into gear. Those were the exact words my aunt said to me in December when she was encouraging me to follow my dream of moving to Australia. She said that my dreams could come true if I really truly believed in them and that it would all come together if I put it out there, she reassured me that there is power in spoken word. And well, as you can see, here I am today living in Australia after telling myself that it would happen. Anyways, as I was watching the sermon and hearing those words I realised there was no point in sulking over not having a job or an internship. If I was going to get what I wanted I had to put it into action myself. Crying wasn't going to solve my problems. So I wrote down "I will get a job" "I will get an internship," said it out loud, and then prayed about it. 



Fast forward to the next day where I decided to go into town to apply for jobs in person. I hadn't done that yet because walking into a store and handing in my resume is my absolute worst nightmare. But after the message I heard the night before I knew that I had to put in a little effort if I wanted things to happen. After going to a few stores and being told that they weren't hiring or I had to apply online, I came across a shop that was having a job fair the next night. The shop, a surf shop, totally screamed my personality. I am 100% in love with summer and the beach, if you can't already tell by the title of my blog alone. I knew that I would fit right in there, so I attended the job fair and the next day got a call confirming that I had gotten a job. I was ecstatic. After weeks of trying to find some wort of part time work, it finally paid off. 

A few hours later, after getting out of an exam, I had a missed call and voicemail from a random number. I didn't really listen properly the first time but all I heard was, "would love to have you come in for an interview for the marketing internship." EXCUSE ME..... what did I just hear? Did I just get a job AND an interview for an internship in the same day???? The smile on my face could've honestly cured every disease known to man I was over the moon. It wasn't even for sure that I would get the internship but just getting that call made me want to dance down the street. I went for the interview a few days later, fell in love with the office space, the company, the environment. Just everything about it felt so perfect, but I still wasn't 100% sure that I would get it. And then today my phone began to ring in the middle of the lecture I was in. I literally bolted out of my seat so fast (well actually I tried but that desk thingy was in the way and I couldn't get out which caused me to miss the call but ANYWAYS) and went out into the hall to answer. It was the girl who had interviewed me telling me that I had indeed been chosen for the internship!!!!!!!!!! GUYS. My heart was racing so fast I literally went back to my lecture shaking like a mad woman. An internship???? A job???? What the heck was my brain even doing 2 weeks ago telling me I made the wrong decision?

So, I am here to say that if you are discouraged and feel like things aren't working out.. put it out there!! Write it down, say it out loud, if you believe in God pray about it!! Honestly it is so incredible what can happen when you say things out loud. I am living proof that the power of spoken word is a real life thing. I am so thankful and so incredibly blown away by what has happened in the last 2 weeks. I really hope that you'll get some encouragement from this. Your dreams are possible!!! No matter how big or small they may be. You just have to put a little effort in to get where you want to be, and you will get there. Here's part of journal entry that I wrote in February this year. I had no idea that it would actually happen. I just put it out there, prayed a lot, did what I had to do to make it happen, and it all worked out. 


Sorry for this narrative and the mess of it all but I'm just really excited and really wanted to share it with whoever may stumble across this post. Go write down and speak your dreams!!! Remember, you can breathe life into things with your words. You got this. 

If you want to check out the Hillsong sermon that I watched you can watch it here.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Phillipians 4:6

You Might Also Like

0 comments