3 months in...

By 17:08

Hi... sorry to anyone who actually reads this blog that I have been MIA for the last month. I could make an excuse that I've been super busy for the last few weeks but I did manage to watch 4 seasons of Scandal within that time so clearly I have had the time. Anyways, here I am... done my big assignments for the semester and ready to fill you all in on my life. Hopefully you still care. I promise it's kind of exciting.

I have officially lived in Australia for 3 months (technically 3 months and a week but just pretend I wrote this week ago). How weird is that?! It has been 6 months since I actually decided to move and it truly feels like just yesterday I was crying over the -40 forecast trying to figure out a way to move to Australia ASAP. But yes, here I am, living my dream and loving every minute - for the most part. As many of my friends and family know I haven't really been homesick since being here, but that came to a shocking end the day before my 21st birthday. I was doing so well, almost made it 3 months without a single tear. I make my life seem so good and happy and perfect through my Instagram but I have had my moments of weakness. In my last post I mentioned a bit of hesitation and regret about moving because things weren't falling into place, but that all changed pretty quickly once everything started to happen. But this was a different type of homesick. It wasn't regret or questioning whether I made the right choice, I know I made the right choice. It was just genuine yearning for my friends and family to be by my side. A birthday is a time that you want to spend with your closest friends and the people that truly know you. I did have my one friend Jackie who spent my birthday with me which I was so grateful for. I guess I just assumed that when I moved here I would make tons of friends and everything would fall into place so quickly, but that's not what has happened. Friends take time. I know it will continue to take time but as I start work (next week!!!) and continue to do my internship and uni I will make friends. The reality of moving to a whole new place isn't 100% happiness and sunshine, as much as I make it seem like it is. Don't get me wrong, I am making the most of it and doing as much as I can to make it as good as it can be but there are times where I just wish I could fly home for the weekend to see everyone that I love. I recently discovered Spotify though and the sad playlist I made is truly getting me through the tough times. (Time for some shameless self promotion: listen to it. Wish I could add All Too Well by Taylor Swift to it but we all know she isn't a fan of Spotify so just like pause it in the middle or something and listen to All Too Well and then continue the playlist).

Blurry photo of the Harbour Bridge from my birthday. Contact me for all photography needs.

ANYWAYS onto the sunshine and happiness. I started my internship 3 weeks ago and I am loving it. Within that time I have already attended my first launch party which was like one of my goals of this internship. So far it's going pretty well. It's so cool to be in an actual workplace that has to do with the career that I want to pursue. I definitely know that I am on the right track and I am sooooooo ecstatic about it. It's so awesome that I get to work in Sydney which is one of my favourite cities. I live 2 hours south of Sydney and I swear I spend more time there than I do at home. Definitely need to move there eventually but obviously money is not something I have lots of at the moment so that dream will have to wait. I waited 20 years for my dream of moving to Australia to come true, so I know how to be patient when it comes to dreams. (If it takes me 20 years to move to Sydney though that may be a bit of an issue). But yes so far internship is all good and I am very happy about it. I start work next week and I am so excited to have an actual INCOME. I haven't worked in 3 months which is so strange for me. I have been working since the age of 15 and I truly feel so weird without it.

This launch party was 100% my aesthetic.

I have been exploring a lot of Sydney and going to beaches on the south coast. If you follow me on Instagram you have definitely seen my adventures. If you haven't, get on that (more self promotion. This is truly sad but it's fine: follow). One of my best friends from home came to visit this week which was SOOOO good. So nice to have someone around who truly knows me and has known me since the age of 6. She is in Australia for a year so it will be great to be able to see her over the next year as she travels and comes back to this area. I didn't get a chance to show her around because I was super busy with interning and uni but since I am a seasoned pro at Sydney now I will definitely give her a tour eventually. She's also vegan so a vegan tour of Sydney is a must. We did try one new place while she was here though. Earth to Table in Bondi. It was really good!! Quite pricy but good. I was definitely more excited for the desserts than for the main meal but who wouldn't be?! Will definitely go back (once I start working and have a steady income).

Salted Caramel + Chocolate Cheesecake and Apple Crumble Cheesecake. All vegan all amazing.

That's really all I can think of that has been happening in the last few weeks. Uni is almost done for the summer so more adventures are definitely to come and more frequent posting (I hope). As much as I say this all the time, I am truly so happy that I made this decision to move. I was looking at this sunset the other day and all I could think was "this is the literal reason that I moved here." Yes, I could probably get similar opportunities in Canada but none of them would have this view.


You Might Also Like

2 comments